maYes, there really still is knitting going on here at Slate Range Camp, there just hasn't been much blogging about it! I promise an all-knitting update today.
Languishing... I need to spin about four more ounces of my silvery-green, then overdye it with turmeric, then re-commence knitting. Whew, it has made me tired just thinking about it! But, I am finding that one of the joys of making yarn by hand is that I get to savor a project from start to finish, including the various steps along the way that make it truly unique. As you will see in one of the photos below, I do already have the perfect closure for this vest, which should be getting more attention as I am starting to have more energy.
Diamond Patch Sweater
A returnee to the list, this WIP hasn't seen any attention since last fall, when I stashed it away, knowing I wouldn't get a summer top done in time to wear with the early arrival of wet weather. I have been listening to Margene's philosophy of "Grow or Go", and realized that I don't mind if I find a compelling reason to move on (in this case, the need for warm things to wear), but don't always come back to a project. Diamond only needed three triangles and four diamonds... oh, and neck ribbing and sleeves... I made one of the triangles yesterday, and did a diamond almost twice, but am faced with a problem. My knitting tension has loosened up even further it seems... maybe during my slacker-health phase. I dropped down a needle size from the Addi Turbo 4s I was using to a circular 3, and got the correct row gauge on the second attempt, but now that the diamond is almost done, it looks like the row gauge is just a tad bit larger than all the diamonds I already have connected... I quit in disgust last night, but can't face completely abandoning this project, so will try finishing and measuring. And also consider whether I want to go up a size and finish the rest of the diamonds knitting English-style rather than Continental... any advice would be greatly welcomed!
February Lady Sweater
The buttonholes are in, but no buttons sewed on... I could just go ahead and do that, eh. I wanted to photograph the sweater on a hanger, so I used this lovely shawl pin I got from Romi recently... a cute and shapely sheepie in copper!
You will notice that these two photos show different shades of green... Stephanie and I have been discussing how to get accurate color for blog photos and my challenge has consistently been the low levels of light in my antique house... I have overhanging porches and narrow windows and try different methods to get more light into a photo but still get true color. The green with the close-up of the pin is more accurate.
I kinda snuck this one in... I have been spending time with a baby who is a friend of our family and decided to make her a sweater that we have had on display at the LYS.... a Berroco pattern called Baby Yeti, made from GGH Esprit. I finished up quickly, and ended up with a pile of five fluffy pieces.
Sewing is definitely my least favorite part of knitting projects, but I forced myself to sit down and stitch Sunday night, so that I would finally have a FO to show off!
Buster is modeling the completed baby sweater, although I think I will vary the pattern by adding a button and a heavy loop to close it at the top. Buster was my youngest son's favorite stuffie... he saw Buster in a local shop window when he was six, and asked for extra chores to do so that he could earn enough to buy Buster. The blue wool around Buster's neck was DYS's one and only knitting attempt, a scarf made on Waldorf-style homemade wooden needles over a winter of knitting effort..... I have had to keep and treasure such a display of commitment in one so young.
Black Sand Haori Vest
This project from Compassionate Knitting has been on my Ravelry queue for the past few months, with the idea of making a winter outer vest... I had even purchased the yarn, Cascade Eco, before it was all gone, when Allison taught a beginning sweater class back in July. I started in on Saturday because I realized at Knit Night last Thursday that I desperately needed a stockinette project so that I wouldn't make so many mistakes when knitting and talking or listening at the same time:)
I started on the central piece, and it has grown very quickly! The vest will have side panels as well, and I am planning to employ my dressmaking skills by adding pockets into the seams where the side panels join the front, and lining the vest as well. I feel ready for a new challenge, and have started looking at other designs for jackets with the idea that making a fabric lining will add to the quality, structure and durability of my finished product... it certainly has turned out to be the case for knitted purses.